Wednesday, May 5, 2010

All is well.

 
I sit on the mezzanine level of the Hostel Carlos Gardel, San Telmo, Buenos Aires. I am winding down after my first full day here.

I arrived yesterday afternoon after a faultless journey from Brisbane. I had the good fortune to spend my last week in Australia on the Sunshine Coast indulging the hospitality provided by Josh Williams. Josh’s sister extended the send off with digs in Brisbane and a lift to the airport. Mucho gracias.

The horror show I anticipated from Aerolineas Argentinas could not have been further from the truth. I could not have asked for more. The surprises continued when the bus ticket from the airport to the city included drop off at your desired accommodation. From my glimpse the city takes pride in the provision of services. I am embarrassed by my reliance on English. I had ample time to gain some basic Spanish. I will rectify this.

The scope of the city is extraordinary. I walked with only minor breaks from 7am until 3pm and only covered a small portion. During this period the city’s arteries pumped with a solid steady beat. I don’t know yet what regulates the pulse, but café culture, pride in appearance, heavy smoking, both residents and their vehicles, and a barely covered passion help  push things along.

My first attempt at drawing money was an abject failure. The machine ate my card. The bank representative managed to convey to me that I would have to return tomorrow to collect my card. A gentleman who was watching proceedings had a quiet word to the lady, then I was told to wait. In a few minutes she returned with my card. After using my passport to confirm I was the person named on the card she handed it to me. I not sure what he said but I thanked him for his intervention.

I tried the card again and it worked although, only a small daily limit is available. While food seems to be cheaper than Oz, many consumer items are comparable or dearer. The hostel is clean and the other travellers considerate. I have just returned from a small Café/Bar just down the road where I watched The Argentine National Team defeat Haiti 4-0 in a friendly. All is well.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mick, Great to know that things have started well. Am looking forward to a vicarious adventure. Enjoy
    Ange & Gem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ange,
    Hope you and Gem are holding up well. Not sure if you're back from the wedding yet. If not, enjoy.
    Mick

    ReplyDelete