Saturday, June 12, 2010

There was a ruckus last night. We have had a French couple in our room. They tried to sneak a friend of theirs into the Hostel. Not a grievous transgression in itself save for the fact that the guy in question had taken 12 'tallies' late one night from Carlos Gardel to his Hostel on the proviso that he would replace them the next day.

He wasn’t seen for days then turned up at the Hostel, promised again to replace the beer and booked in for the night. The couple from our room and the beer thief started drinking in the evening. By 3am, after many beers, he had the bright idea that as most of the night had passed he wasn’t going to stay ‘officially’ but sneak into our room.

Roy, the night receptionist, discovered the ruse and followed them up the stairs, after heated words were exchanged in our doorway, the guy from our room started pushing Roy. I was a bystander, or should I say bylayer, until this point. I didn’t understand the Spanish but when push came, I shoved. I lept out of bed and spun the guy from our room around. The shock of someone else entering the fray was enough of a circuit breaker. With motions I acted out the idea that pushing was not required. The beer thief beat a hasty retreat followed by Roy. I was left with the guy from our room, who reeked of beer, trying to protest his innocence. I made it known that whatever the circumstances, two on one wasn’t following the Queensberry Rules.

It is futile to have a discussion with a drunk so I managed to convey that I would like to go back to sleep.

The female of the couple was jovial enough during their stay, enough to at least say hola. He was ignorant, until the afternoon before this incident, when he managed to convey that they needed an alarm for the morning which I provided and set.

After the disturbance and before returning to bed I briefly thought of turning the alarm off but it would be petty on my part. To add a further insult when the alarm sounded at 7.00am they were too trashed to get up and turn it off. I had to stop the alarm then shake the guy.

I have certainly mellowed with the passing of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment