Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Your input is required.


My usage of Spanish is still rudimentary but during my time here in Buenos Aires I have been exposed to a full vocabulary. I can understand words and phrases that are commonly used. Being able to follow a conversation is still a long way away.

Up until yesterday I had not registered the term ‘dar’ meaning - give. I think it is used in conjunction with ‘en’ meaning - to. Phonetically the term I hear is more akin to ’dali’.

I have asked Spanish speakers if it is commonly used and they tell me it is very common. I am perplexed by the fact that up until yesterday I had not registered its use.

Is it true that we hear only what we want to ?

In the spirit of Aristotle’s ‘aim of studying ethics is not the acquisition of knowledge about action but action itself - we read Ethics, not in order to know what good men are like, but in order to act as good men do.’ I would like to be told the things I may not want to hear.

If there is something in the way I behave that you think I could improve I would like to be told. If required be brutally honest. This is a quest to be a better person.

1 comment:

  1. lol

    Yes they say DALE!
    That´s the same as saying OK! YA!

    But just argentinians use that. In Chile, Peru they use a lot of YA in the end of the sentence.

    ReplyDelete