Monday, August 2, 2010

Time is on my Side.

The city of San Carlos de Bariloche and its surrounds are known collectively as Argentina’s Lakes District. The harshness of southern Patagonia in El Calafate has given way to thick pine forests and postcard perfect blue lakes. After spending 28 hours on a bus to get here a change of scenery was expected.

The trip did not follow the most direct route. Ruta 40 is the most direct road. It holds iconic status for Argentines as Route 66 does for residents of the United States. Unfortunately at this time of year it is impassable.

Bariloche is a year round playground. In Winter crowds flock to Cerro Cathedral, Argentina’s biggest and most popular ski resort. Unlike the intimate resort in Ushuaia, Bariloche is high volume tourism. When the weather warms and the snow melts trout fishing, horse riding, mountain biking, hiking and water sports take over.
 
The bus ride took its toll on me. I arrived at 8.30 in the evening. The bus terminal is 30 mins walk to the centre of town. After finding a hostel, I showered and hit the hay.

That was two days ago. I was tempted to strap a snowboard on again but I have resisted the urge. Instead I spent a good portion of yesterday skipping stones on Lake Nahuel Haupi. It took mother nature countless years to smooth the stones I was throwing. I could think of no more enjoyable activity than returning them to the lake for another cycle.

Smelling roses or skipping stones, if you find yourself doing either, you know that time is on your side.

Next stop, Mendoza.

No comments:

Post a Comment