Sunday, February 28, 2010

Every journey of a thousand miles...


I've just returned from an enjoyable day in the Blue Mountains. It is the first walk of note i've had since finishing the Bibbulmun Track. The genesis of the idea to walk the track happened on a half/guts-morning watch sitting off Christmas Island (arr!). I was seeking ways to spend the two weeks leave I was to take when we returned to Western Australia. It would take longer than two weeks but after finding out that a 1000 km walking track existed between Perth and Albany, I thought, it would be nice to say, "I once walked one thousand kilometres." The seed didn't germinate until last year when I posted ashore and could take the time off.

I had no great objective for the trip accept to go 'walkabout'. As I started planning and the time came closer it was evident that I may not have a better period in my life than this to quit smoking.

I finished the walk and I quit smoking (with a relapse on an evening before New Years Eve but we won't talk about that.) Ironically, i've never been in worse shape. Of course I feel much better and my aerobic capacity is potentially much better, it's that now I don't feel the need to test it. When I was smoking I spent a lot of time counter balancing the ill effects with plenty of exercise. I was running flat out to stay in the same place.



One of the requirements to remain ready for deployment is to pass an annual fitness test. The test is not particularly demanding but it does require some preparation. I have this fitness test in the morning followed by an interview with the Commanding Officer of the Base to finalise my discharge. Then the wheel will stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment