Friday, April 23, 2010

To the Manor Born

 
I spent last night on the block and I'm happy to report the weather was kind. It was not a Bear Grylls moment. If it were possible to halt my gaze abruptly 50 meters fore, 150 meters aft and 50 meters either side from this photo I would be Lord of all I surveyed.

On the evening I arrived in Stanthorpe it was raining so I opted for a room at a Pub in the main street. Camping is wonderful but its results are not conducive to 'normal' human interaction. I still had some tasks to complete in town so presenting myself to the good people of Stanthorpe ripe and unwashed would not be the first impression I was hoping to make.

I’ve secured and paid for the storage shed. Upgraded one of my key cards to one that contains a chip. I read that many ATMs will now not accept a non chipped card. With this addition I am confident I have all cash access bases covered for the trip. Went for a short walk in Girraween National Park. I wasn’t aware of the extent of the features in the Park. Serendipitous. Took a whistle stop tour of the wineries south of Stanthorpe and figuratively drank in the place.

Yesterday morning I sat at outdoor table of a bakery in the main street enjoying a coffee. People in Stanthorpe drive slowly, walk slowly and talk slowly. It is as if someone has hit the slow motion button and it suits me to a tee. The powers that be have made a reasonable attempt but the large footpaths of the main street require beautification. The business owners should take the lead.

It is encouraging to note the number of backpackers in town. There must be scope for another establishment to cater for them. This will be my focus on return.

Camping on the block did reveal just what a task it will be to transform it to my vision, a task I will relish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment